The Konrad Adenaeur Stiftung KAS Media Africa is offering Media Africa Journalism university scholarships for two promising, young sub-Saharan African journalists to do full-time Honours or Masters Degrees at the prestigious University of Witwatersrand’s Journalism Programme in Johannesburg in 2020.
- Candidates should be under 30 years old, working as a journalist in a sub-Saharan African country and fluent in English.
- For Honours, candidates must have at least three years’ working experience and either an undergraduate degree or pass an entrance test.
- For Masters, candidates must have a degree equivalent to the BA Honours in Journalism (or related field) and at least three years’ working experience.
- Candidates must work closely with KAS Media Africa during their stay in Johannesburg and write regular narrative reports on their study progress.
The scholarship includes:
- University fees
- Return flight to Johannesburg
- Modest monthly stipend
- Accommodation fees for student housing
- A one-time payment towards study materials
- Reimbursement of costs for study visa and SAQA assessment
Applicants need to submit the following :
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Two samples of published writing/broadcast clips
- Candidates should make themselves available in early August for an interview by skype or telephone and be willing to sit a test exam.
- The decision on the award should be made by the end of August 2019.
- Successful candidates will be expected to complete an online student application and supply all the necessary documentation, including a SAQA assessment.
- The application for a student visa will be the responsibility of the candidate, who must begin the process before the end of October 2019.
- The academic year starts in the beginning of February 2020, and ends with the submission of research in November or the following February. The successful candidate should plan to travel in late January 2020.
- Two letters of nomination/reference by a senior journalist, publisher or academic
Applications should be emailed to (email@example.com) with “KAS scholarship” in the subject heading.
For further information; Click Here
Deadline: July 8, 2019