The State Oceanic Administration (SOA) in collaboration with the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China, 2019.
In order to provide financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions of the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African, American developing countries to study in China for a master’s degree or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, the cultivation of advanced professionals in the related fields in developing countries, The admissions and routine management of the scholarship are the responsibility of the China Scholarship Council (CSC).
Universities offering the Scholarship:
- Xiamen University,
- Zhejiang University
- Ocean University of China
- Tongji University
- Candidates for a master’s degree: 2-3 years of study with the Scholarship
- Candidates for doctoral degree: 3-4 years of study with the Scholarship
- Scholarship awardees who choose Chinese as the teaching language and request
- Chinese language training prior to their formal academic studies will receive one- year training and have their scholarship funding extended correspondingly for one year
- The duration of the Scholarship will be deﬁned upon the student’s admission to the university, and will not be extended in principle. If a student is unable to ﬁnish the program for some special reasons, his or her scholarship may be extended appropriately until graduation with prior consent of SOA, the university and CSC.
- SOA and the universities will jointly organize a panel of reviewers to screen the candidates for the scholarship on the basis of the candidates’ academic performance and achievements and their supervisors’ opinions. The ﬁnal list of the scholarship awardees will be publicly announced.
- Entrusted by CSC, the university will mail the Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) to the scholarship awardee by July 31 every year.
- In principle, the Scholarship student is not allowed to change the school, subject, and duration of study pre-deﬁned on the Admission Notice.
Annual Scholarship Review:
- According to the Measures of Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status, CSC will carry out a comprehensive annual review of the scholarship students’ academic performance, attitude towards study, attendance records, behavior, rewards, and punishments etc.
- Scholarship students must pass the review to qualify themselves for next year’s scholarship funding. Those who fail the review may have their scholarship suspended or terminated next year.
- Those whose scholarship has been suspended may continue their study at the University at their own expense, and if they wish to recover eligibility of receiving the scholarship, they may attend the review next year and, upon passing the review, apply for the continuity of the Scholarship.
- Those whose scholarships have been ofﬁcially terminated are not eligible to apply for recovery of the Scholarship.
- The applicant for a master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree and be usually under the age of 40
- The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree and be usually under the age of 45.
Eligible Regions: The coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Paciﬁc and the Indian Oceans and African, American developing countries.
Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (to be filled out in Chinese or English)
An applicant is supposed to log on to Chinese Government Scholarship Information System, fill in all the necessary information, and then print the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship which will be automatically generated after successful submission. The online application system can be found at the given link, and the institutional codes of the universities are Xiamen University: 10384, Zhejiang University: 10335, Ocean University of China: 10423, and Tongji University: 10247.
Photocopy of last degree certificate. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by a notarized translation in Chinese or English.
Academic transcripts. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
The applicant’s study or research plan in China (in Chinese or English).
Two letters of recommendation (in Chinese or English) by Professors or Associate Professors.
Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (downloadable from CSC’s website) completed in Chinese or English. The applicant must strictly take all the examination as required by the Form. Leaving a blank or absence of signature of the doctor or seal of the hospital will make the form invalid.
Application for joint training with relevant institutions. The applicant needs to submit the application in Chinese or English if he/she needs joint training.
These application documents will not be returned no matter the application is accepted or not.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2019