The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies, in order to develop effective scholars and leaders and to prepare them for employment, primarily within the AKDN.
Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant: 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year in June or July. The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master’s level courses but is willing to consider applications for PhD programmes, only in the case of outstanding students who are highly recommended for doctoral studies by their professors and who need a PhD for the fulfilment of their career objectives (academic or research oriented).
The main criteria for selecting award winners are: l) consistently excellent academic records, 2) genuine financial need, 3) admission to a highly reputable university or programme of study and 4) relevance of the field of study to AKDN’s focus areas. Candidates are also evaluated on demonstrating thoughtful and coherent educational and career plans, their extra-curricular interests and achievements, potential to achieve their goals and likelihood to succeed in a foreign academic environment. Applicants are expected to have some years of work experience in their field of interest.
The deadline for submission of entire completed applications is 31 March, although in certain countries internal deadlines may be earlier in order to process and review applications. Applicants are advised to contact the local offices for internal deadline dates and requirements as these may vary from country to country.
- Aga Khan Foundation (Bangladesh) – Deadline for submitting pre-application forms: 8th March, 2019; Deadline for submitting completed applications: 31st March, 2019.
- Aga Khan Foundation (India) – Deadline for application distribution: 15th March, 2019 (7:00 pm IST); Deadline for submitting completed applications: March, 2019 (5:00 pm IST).
- Aga Khan Foundation (Pakistan) & Aga Khan Education Services (Pakistan) – Deadline for submitting pre-application forms: 15th March, 2019 (5.00 pm IST); Deadline for submitting completed applications: 31st March, 2019 (5:00 pm IST).
- Aga Khan Foundation (Portugal) – Deadline for submitting completed applications: 30th March, 2019.
- The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only.
- Funding for PhD programmes is only provided for the first two years of study, after which the students are expected to find alternative sources of assistance.
- Financial assistance is provided according to the needs of students, but the ISP must be considered a lender of last resort.
- Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant: 50% loan basis. Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%.
- The Foundation accepts applications from nationals of the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
- The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals listed above who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
- Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
Eligible Regions: Multiple Region (Check the official website)